Friday, June 20, 2008

Thrown to the Curb

Years ago I talked my husband into picking up this cute little dresser from the road side trash. Someone had used her, abused her, and tossed her out. She sat weathered, broken, and neglected, but something about her called to me. Maybe it was her curvy lines or her petite stature, or just that she had been around for so long I thought she deserved respect. So the little hitchhiker got a ride to our home.We let her reside on our covered patio and each summer I would promise to restore her beauty (I'm a bit of a purest when it comes to antiques). But there was so much work to be done. Would she ever be as beautiful as she was originally or would she just become the Joan Rivers of old furniture (so re-done you hardly recognize the original)?
Then it came to me. I would take what was left of her original beauty and add to it. Instead of giving her back her old life, I would give her a new life. She would be proud to call the back porch her home. She would be valued, even though her drawer panels were missing and her top was beyond repair.
With a little spray paint, some thrifted knobs, and a new top covered in vinyl, she would become the diva of the patio. Her competition is tough---the newly slip covered wicker, the galvanized steel topped table, and ketchup and mustard colored antique metal chairs, but she holds her own. She has become a star!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is just beautiful! You did a great job! Susie H~

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Wow! I bet whoever threw this out would be jealous now!

JoAnne said...

Everything looks classier in black and your roadside find is no exception. Great job! Smiles, JoAnne

Darla said...

Lucky hitchhiker!!!

Rachel Berry said...

Love it! It turned out great!
I love, love old furniture like that & to find her sitting on the side of the road. BONUS!

I just blogged yesterday because I finally painted my bathroom vanity black and I am so in love with it. Black paint is my new best friend.

:)Rachel

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a great transformation.

Blanca

The Dragonfly said...

Just love a classy Mormon decorating momma with great ideas for turning trash into treasure. You've been added to my favorites!

The Dragonfly said...

ps. How'd you get that temple widget on your sidebar that links over to mormon.org?

Joy said...

For LDS blinkies visit this site:
http://leeloublogs.blogspot.com/2008/05/lds-link-buttons.html

Melissa Lester said...

Popped over from The Nester and have enjoyed seeing all your treasures, makeovers and fabulous finds!

patsy said...

I found you on today's creative blog- I love it here!
I have a question--- you spray painted your bathroom cabinets, did it really work? did the paint stay on? Did you prime them or sand them first?
I love the idea!!!- thanks for sharing

Amy Jo said...

What a beautiful make over! I love before and afters, and especially resuing something from landfills!

Shirlee said...

Va-vaVoom, she's one classy dame. I'm glad you were able to rescue her and give her new life.
Just goes to show that a piece of furniture doesn't have to be in perfect shape for a makeover.

You need to add a "how to" section to your blog Joy. :)

Bonnie the Boss said...

Her curvy lines would have attracted me too. I love antiques in their natural state. Some need a little more though. Great job.

Kimba said...

She is beautiful! Great job! I'm in the process of doing to same thing to a thrift store find. Could you explain what you did to her top?

Joy said...

The top of the dresser was beyond repair. I wanted something that could handle weather. I considered doing a mosaic, but that takes a lot of time, so I came up with this quick idea. I took a piece of plywood and traced the dresser top. I cut it out with a jig saw. Then I basically upholstered it the way you do a chair seat, stretching and stapling. I chose not to put batting under, but you could if you want a little cushioning.
I hope I explained that well enough. If not, feel free to ask me more questions.

Darlene said...

What a great job you did on her....she is definately holding her own on the porch. Great JOB!!!

Rhondi said...

Hi I just discovered your blog and have had a great time looking at all the projects you've done. I loved that you said you took down the cabinets in the kitchen when your husband wasn't home. I do the same thing! I love the flag ideas too.
Rhondi

CJ'SMOMMY*KIMBERLY said...

as you can tell im browsing back in time ,lol.I love this though.I am looking for something just like this for my hall.Since hubby just lost his job,free would be on my budget too,lol.LOVE IT!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Munchkin Land Designs  





Search This Blog