Friday, February 1, 2013

Painting a Rock Fireplace

Several months ago I had the opportunity, along with several others, 
to help give some friends a home makeover. It was a fun experience! 
One of my favorite transformations in their home was the fireplace. The original fireplace was rock. The rock was dark, multicolored, dated, and had been colored on by their children. It was in desperate need of an update.
I was so excited get my hands on it and give it a coat of paint 
but several of the other volunteers didn't agree with the idea. 
Luckily I've met with opposition on paint makeovers before 
(usually with my own family members) so I knew just what to do. . . 
go ahead and PAINT!
I used a primer/ paint combo along with a paintbrush and roller. 
In less than an hour the fireplace went from dark and dated 
to fresh, clean and modern.
  
 Even the naysayers thought it looked awesome!

The volunteers had another inexpensive idea to update the home. 
They used wide baseboard, turned upside down, as crown molding. 
It cost less, is easier to install, yet still adds architectural detail.

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I haven't tried painting my fireplace and yours looks amazing! The color matches your wall and blends well with the house. I would love to see more from you!

Verna Lucas

Jenny said...

I guess I'm a naysayer - it's hard to tell for sure though since their isn't a full before picture of the fireplace. I wonder if a good cleaning might have been a better option?

joanne said...

I'm not naysyaing, I think it looks great, fresh and modern...great call on that one.

Gayle said...

Wow Joy - what an awesome project! Hope we get to see pictures of the room when it's finished. Great idea on the moulding!

Unknown said...

Very awesome creation, l liked this type of creative & artistic work. Thanks..

Cottagecheap said...

I really like it, am thinking I might have to do some highlights and lowlights on it, were it mine.

Hayley said...

Could you share what kind of primer and paint you used on this fireplace? It's exactly what I want to do with mine! Curious as to what finish to use on rock - flat? sheen? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Munchkin Land Designs  





Search This Blog