Monday, February 9, 2009

It's a Process

Back in December, I began the makeover of my daughter's old room into a guest room. Funny thing, she and her hubby are our only overnight guests, so in many ways, it's still her room. I forgot to take a "before" picture of the room until after the furniture had been moved. I did take a picture of the previous wall color. Yes. It was purple. It was my daughter's favorite color years ago. Yes. I am responsible for the decorative paint technique. Hey, at least it helped to camouflage all of the flaws on the walls from a lousy plaster finish (thanks to the previous owners).We built that peg shelf specifically for our daughter. As you can see it's up close to the ceiling and runs the length of two walls. It used to be lined with photos of a her and her dates at high school dances. The pegs below were used to hang and preserve the bouquets of flowers she received from many boys. She's an incredible young woman! Beautiful, spiritual, intelligent, positive, giving, and happy are only a few words to describe her. For several years now, when asked how she is, her reply is always, "I'm happy! Thank you." I am blessed to be her mother!
It was so fun to surprise her and her cute hubby with a nice room when they came to visit at Christmas. The room wasn't 100% finished but it was nice enough with it's freshly painted walls.
It's still not finished. Usually, for me, giving a room a make over is a process. I think about it for a while. Then I try to gather a few things as I shop thrift stores. I start the job by painting the walls, and then the process begins to slow, as I try to figure out exactly how I want the finished room to look. This is where I drive my family crazy! In fact, one of my sons has a term for our home. He calls it "the house of unfinished dreams." I'm thinking of making the saying into a plaque to hang above the front door. But before I start that, maybe I'll try to finish a few other projects. One of my projects is to paint that green headboard a creamy white. Another is to do a technique on those flawed walls, then there's a table that needs a new top. Ahhhh! so many projects, so little time! Yep, it's a process to finish the house of unfinished dreams.

28 comments:

Rae said...

Did you buy the headboard from PB? I remember coveting that headboard (or one exactly like it) for my daughter for a very long time!!! So funny you are now going to paint it green!! Can't wait to see the end result!

Christina said...

Love it--"house of unfinished dreams"---I thought that was my house.

Look forward to seeing your new guest room. The paint color is very pretty.

Amber B. said...

The house of unfinished dreams..that is so funny. My sister and I call my mom's house, "The House that Cheap Built," because she finds everything on sale for cheap. It's nicely decorated, but very affordable. I am copying her for my own home!

Mimi Sue said...

I have so many rooms that are unfinished it isn't funny. I don't know how people go in, decorate, and get out. I have to layer it on. Love that shelf. I might have to copy it in my entryway. Mimi

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Oh, I love the direction you're heading with this room! Besides, the journey is half the fun, right? I can't wait to see more!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I can't wait to see what you do-it is looking great so far...but I am not suprised! I love everything you do!

hamslicecudd said...

thats really nice

The Pretty Neat Company said...

That's my favorite phrase when working with clients, "It's a Process"! I say it ALL the time and it is SO true!

Darlene said...

I LOVE that peg shelf...that is a great idea. Looks like the bedroom will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

House of Unfinished Dreams. Love it!

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

It looks like it has a finish on the walls? Unfinished plaster look!! How fun to have a place to decorate..and the door closes until it is "perfect".

Unknown said...

Great minds think alike! My post today is also about slowly transforming a room, my room.
I love the paint color that you chose, I'm excited to see how the headboard turns out and what else you come up with!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

If only our budget and time could keep up with our planning and dreaming. Ah, if only . . .

AndreaLeigh said...

i love the peg board! such a creative idea. your daughter sounds amazing. she would have to be, with such a great mom!

Stacey said...

Ahhhh Haaa moment! The peg shelf! What a great idea...I need one ASAP for my girls rooms!

Thanks!

Joanna said...

I love the shelves that line the walls. That is great! What a nice way to display photos and such.

The sponging technique...I remember doing my bedroom with it...Ahh...The good 'ol days.

Holly said...

Love the new color...can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Wendy said...

That sounds an aweful lot like my house...maybe I'll borrow that term. It might make the Hubby laugh!

Anonymous said...

The paint color is beautiful - so soothing and restful.

Looking forward to seeing the transformation.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Beautiful wall color. I love "the house of unfinished dreams" I have one too. It comes from having more ideas than time to finish them but it is fun. Pam

Unknown said...

you are off to a great start!
♥Jen

Unknown said...

I love the new paint color...and your comment about House of Dreams! I think a lot of us here in BlogLand are like that. It's definitely a process. I have a non-crafty (by her own admission) friend who will go in and buy a whole room from Pottery Barn...down to the knick-knacks and pictures. I prefer to create my rooms over time and keep adding to them. Nothing is EVER really finished. Good job on the beginnings of a make-over. Your daughter sounds like a wonderful person!

Our Complete Family said...

I had fun reading your last few posts to catch up on your blog hun! You have been busy! The Val day decs are adorable, as always!
Happy day wishes~ Les

Inspired Kara said...

LOVE the color!!

Sue said...

I love the peg shelf!! I can't wait to see the finished results....I know it will be beautiful!

Our Paper Plates said...

I love slow transitions! It gives you time to think (and re-think!) about what you truly want the room to reflect. And it saves you from impulse buying in the end. Since I only budget $25 a month for projects/home beautification, every room I do is a slow transformation!!! :)

Kim said...

My entire house is "in process" LOL Seriously we moved with almost no furniture and am literally starting from scratch. Our bedroom has a bed. Period. I'd rather do without side tables until I find just what I want.

The guest room is the most "finished" room and contains almost the sum total of what we brought: a dresser and a white wicker desk and chair. Plus the bed. My hubby built platforms for the Select Comfort mattresses we brought for our room and the guest room. This allows plenty of storage beneath. The guest bed is made. There are a few decorative items on the dresser and desk and one wall hanging has been hung. I have some other wall art to put in there but haven't unpacked them yet.

And on and on. But it's fun. I'm enjoying this process! Although it is frustrating at times to be so unfinished.

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Your daughter is so great because her mother is even greater.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Munchkin Land Designs  





Search This Blog