Thursday, September 3, 2009

Burlap My Window

With this bamboo blind as my inspiration, I decided to Burlap My Window.
First, I cut a strip of MDF and a length of PVC to fit perfectly inside the width of the window.I measured around the PVC pipe and added an extra inch or two. Then I measured the height of the inside of the window, added the two measurements together to get the overall length I needed to cut the burlap.
For the width, I chose to keep the original width of the burlap and just make extra large hems on each side---partly because I wanted the extra weight, partly because I wanted to keep the finished edges in tack, and partly because I'm not much of a seamstress.
Instead of using my sewing machine, I chose to make the hems using strips of iron-on fusible webbing.Then, I hot glued one end of the burlap to the MDF strip. Stapling would have worked too, but I already had my glue gun ready for the next step.I measured and pinned black webbing in place, covering the hem edges. Ribbon could be used instead of webbing. I just had a bunch of webbing on hand and liked it's more masculine look. Once the webbing was pinned, I ran a strip of tape along side as my guide for gluing. I took out the pins and glued down the webbing, working from the center to each edge.Next, I sprayed a little adhesive on the PVC pipe and rolled it onto the burlap end opposite of the MDF until it was to the length needed to fit inside the window. I hot glued it in place and then added two small lengths of webbing round the roll to match the existing webbing.Now all that was left was to adhere the MDF strip to the header inside the window. (Actually it hasn't been nailed in place yet because I still need to paint the window sill---which is why it doesn't look quite as tailored as it should). And that's how I burlapped my window!
Linked to Kimba's DIY day.

37 comments:

Michelle said...

Great job...this project turned out very well!

Have a wonderful day!
~Michelle :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

Great idea! I have about 10 yard of burlap sitting in a bag for a window project. This gives me some inspiration, I love the ribbon!

bj said...

Love this, Joy..it looks really "in" since burlap is so popular now.

Staci at Craftify It ! said...

Never would have thought of using burlap for curtains! I love it! And I love that you didn't have to sew a thing! That is my kind of project!

Kathryn said...

Awesome... really like this. I have a window that needed "something"...this just may be it. :) Thanks!

Kathy said...

Joy, that is so clever! I have a question about the burlap tho - do you prewash it before you use it? The burlap I have has an odor that I don't like, but I want to use it for Fall decorating.

Joy said...

KATHY,
I did not pre-wash my burlap. I've noticed that after a while it loses it's odor, and I've had this piece for a couple of months. It's what was left over from my table runner project that I did at the beginning of summer.

Gwynie Pie said...

OOOO cute, cute, cute !

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great, Joy! I like the touch of the black webbing too.

Darlene said...

WOW Joy that turned out GREAT! I love that black trim on it too. I still can't get over how creative you are with EVERYTHING!!! Love it!

"Blossom" said...

A friend of mine did this on her porch and it looks wonderful. She told me she would do some for me but I am still thinking if I want to do sheer drapes. This looks awesome.

Melissa said...

You are a genius, my friend. It looks so clean and tailored!

Gail said...

Great Job! I love that idea.

Gail

The Style Sisters said...

I love your burlap window!!! That is fantastic.

Lynn Kellan said...

Awesome! I love DIY projects that are pretty and easy on the wallet.

Robin Johnson said...

WOW!

I love it! Its so classy looking. Great Job!

Unknown said...

Darling!! I am SO into burlap right now...and that black just puts the icing on the cake!

Shauna said...

Great job, it looks really nice.

Shanty 2 Chic said...

That turned out so cute... way to go!
~Whitney

The Dutch Girl said...

When I bought several yards of burlap to make curtains with, everyone gave me a slightly puzzled look: "Burlap? For curtains? Really?"

Finally someone who understands! Wonderful job, Joy!

Gayle said...

It's loverly!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Love it!! Great black touch with the ribbon!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Easy and so cute! Love it.

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

It looks soooooooo designer!!! Great job!
Beth

Melissa Miller said...

That is so beautiful! It's very creative and pretty. :)

Let it Shine said...

Brilliant!!!
Looks fantastic!
I just used PVC for curtain rods too. :)

Gena said...

That looks wonderful and you are just unbelievably creative.

Kelli said...

Wonderful Idea!!!!

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

I love, love, love this idea and am going to do this in my funky, too small to do anything cute with, bathroom window!
Thanks for sharing!!

Heidi said...

Ooooh, I'm SO.IN.LOVE....thank you!

Christi said...

what a great project! thanks for sharing the details.

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

Oh...what a lovely blog..love this burlap shade.
xojanis

Karen said...

I love how that turned out! Love the texture of the burlap, too. I've been thinking of making Roman shades, maybe burlap ones now that I've seen your project! Thanks for sharing! Karen

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Great idea! I have a first floor powder room right off the foyer with a window on the front of the house. It needs a window treatment that looks pretty when it's completely closed (and it will be all the time!) this is great- thanks!

Anny said...

This is gorgeous and looks so much more complicated than it is! Thank you for the great tutorial :)

Nadia said...

Great idea....I need to copy you.
Thanks for sharing.
Wicker furniture

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Job well done...burlap is sooooo HOT right now and this is a great look! I have some burlap that I will be using for some window treatments.....maybe I will just try this now. Thanks for the post.

Blessings,
Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Munchkin Land Designs  





Search This Blog