Monday, April 12, 2010

Flaws and Imperfections

I started writing this post with the idea of talking about collections. I was going to write about the two different kind of collectors. There are those who collect only the finest and then there are those, like me, who can appreciate a few flaws in their mass of similar items. I was going to say how the fun of collecting should be in the hunt---the patience of waiting until that certain item comes along that makes you giddy and so thrilled to place it in a prominent spot along with the other items of it's kind. I wanted to explain how sometimes it's the blemishes in your loved collection that make it even more dear to your heart, like the suitcase with it's original handle at one time replaced with rope as a makeshift luggage hold. Or the handle so lovingly repaired by my hubby on the small luggage piece found at a New York flea market that had been carefully transported home just to have our sweet granddaughter tear the vintage leather of the grip into small bits.I planned on showing how even though a pretty piece of pottery has received a chip or two along the way it can still
bring beauty into our life. And how if we concentrate on the small chip we can forget to
see the attractiveness of the whole
.
Then it dawned on me, that I was not just talking about collections. I was talking about life. It's okay to live a life that isn't perfect. Why is it that we can sometimes get so overwhelmed with looking for perfection that we forget that it's the flaws and bumps that give character to our life . A good life is made when we repair the damage that has been done and still go on to serve and bless the lives of others. Life isn't about having everything perfect and in order. Life is about the search, the hunt, the journey. Because it's in the journey where happiness can be found.
Yes, a happy life is what you make of it. Turning bad things into good. Having patience with ourselves as well as with others. Appreciating all that life offers, the wonderful as well as the not so wonderful. And remembering that it's during both of those extremes in our life's journey that beautiful memories can be made,
growth can occur and love can flourish.
Life is much like a collection.
It's made up of many things that when pulled together form
an accumulation of
wonderment and awe
.

We just need to take the time to stand back and
embrace it!

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful post! So wise and I appreciate everything you said. Thanks!

Nancy

Jaci said...

Again, so inspiring! I loved this post and can't wait to share your link again so others' can read it too. Thank you for sharing!

1 Funky Woman said...

What a moving and touching post!

I loved the sentence that said, "Life is much like a collection.
It's made up of many things that when pulled together form an accumulation of wonderment and awe"

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful analogy and oh so true. I'm including it in this week's Saturday Shout Outs.

Becky said...

Very nice post!

Love the way you look at life. :)

Andersen Family said...

How very true! Love your posts!

Annie Joy said...

Your post reminds me of the story of the Velveteen Rabbit. Maybe all of the "flawed and imperfect" items we add to our collections are more "real" to us because others have loved and used them.

Jen T said...

Joy, you get me every time! That was beautiful and so very true. I like to think of myself as the chipped piece with the broken handle facing the wall.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Beautifully spoken.

Rose H (UK) said...

So well put. Sometimes we are too busy to stop for a second and appreciate life.

Sherri said...

Beautiful collections. Insightful words. Awesome post!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very well said, Joy, and a beautiful analogy.

arkie said...

I love this post! You have some lovely collections and a wonderful way of thinking and writing! Thanks!

Anji Johnston said...

I just love this post - just LOVE it! Thank you!

Emily said...

Thank you Joy! I needed to hear this today. It's been a particularly hard one. This reminded me to look for all the good things about it. Thanks!

Krysta said...

I love this post! You are so inspiring. You are such a talented designer and your view on life is so uplifting.

Becky Andrews said...

This is a beautiful inspiring message. Thank you.

Kerry said...

This is my first visit to your lovely blog, and probably the best possible introduction! That was really beautiful, thank you.

missy said...

AWESOME post!!!!!!!

Mrs. Ohtobe said...

I just love the kitchen faucet handles! Too cute and clever.

Anonymous said...

just the inspiration i need after this past week. thanks!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

I love this. It made me cry.

Connie said...

A very inspiring post and so true. We spend so much time looking for perfection that before we know it our life is past and all God wanted from us is a humble heart, with all our flaws, praising Him. Thanks! Connie

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Life is junk made beautiful!!!

Brandie said...

Your post is amazing and I adore your white china collection!

Anonymous said...

I love this post and perusing your blog! Everything is so beautiful and you've inspired me to bring out my not so "perfect" collectables! Found you through the Nester!

Katie said...

Very insightful post. I'm drooling over those suitcases! Beautiful job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Munchkin Land Designs  





Search This Blog