Monday, January 28, 2013

Joys Jots: The Gift of a Day

Saturday morning I woke feeling horrible. I had the kind of headache that no amount of Tylenol seemed to budge
 
I was achy all over and went back and forth from feeling chilled to burning up. I had only enough energy to pull myself out of bed, walk into the living room and collapse on the couch just so that I could have a change of scenery as I dozed in and out of conscientiousness throughout the day.
During one of the rare moments when I was fully awake I thought of the list of chores I had written for the day. It was practically the same list I had every Saturday: Laundry, Cleaning, Groceries, Purchase a Card for a Friend, Bake Cookies. 
Nothing on the list was eventful; most items were boring and mundane and yet at that moment I realized that even the boring and mundane parts of life were precious. Cleaning and groceries were one way of giving my love to my family, buying a card would encourage a friend, baking cookies for another friend showed my support for her and her family. 
   If we are in tune life has a way of teaching us how tender and precious it is. Unfortunately those lessons often come through illness, injury, or death. Perhaps it is because in those unfortunate moments we are finally forced to stop and realize the simple yet significant events that we take for granted every day. 
   Today I am feeling much better. I have added a few more chores to my list and I am happy to be able to do those seemingly boring and mundane tasks. Today I have a deeper appreciation of how those tasks touch the lives of those around me and of how fortunate I am to have the health and strength to do them. Today I am very grateful for the gift of a day.
 

3 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I have learned this lesson...over and over at times! Sickness robs us of the normal...which seems mundane, but really is a blessing! Enjoyed this post!

Becky Andrews said...

Hope you are feeling better! What a beautiful message for us to remember. Each moment is precious. Thanks for sharing and your beautiful writings.

Connie said...

You are so right about the usual thngs we do each day. I take so much for granted but each day is precious and it is God-given that we even wake up in the morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Munchkin Land Designs  





Search This Blog